Moritz's Blog

Friday, November 30, 2007

Another Day

You ever have one of those mornings where everything just seems to come to a head? When your world seems to come crashing down and despair sets in. Well, today was one of those days. I thought everything was o.k…that I had everything under control. But I didn’t.
I was my typical “loud” self and I made an idiot of myself in my principal’s office. I had a complete meltdown with one of my best friends, while I was trying to wish her a happy birthday. I was crying (the kind of crying that makes your face red and ugly), and every time a person would ask me if I was o.k.? it just got worse. And then, I had to go teach my first hour.
Isn’t it amazing how your students can change your mood completely? The moment I started to greet them at the door, ugly face and all, I started to feel better. I know that most of them were uncomfortable seeing their teacher in distress, but they put on a happy face, which in turn helped me do the same. As the class continued, we did our normal routine, but I felt so much better being in their company. Today, I was amazed at how dependent I was on them.

When I meet new people and they ask me what I do, they are always in admiration because I work with teenagers. They say “you must have a lot of patience”, but sadly, they don’t see the flip side. They don’t see all of the benefits I reap from working with young people.
They don’t see how much I admire my students’ everyday. Whether it is watching my reading kids fly through books or my honors kids making in-depth connections with text. My writing kids taking risks and writing very personal essays that I have the privilege to read or my leadership kids giving so graciously to others.

I have the best job. I get to come everyday, work with people I love, and see teenagers grow and learn unlike any other members of the population. Of course this sounds idealistic (yes, I am leaving out all of the thorns in my side), but after the morning that I have had, I am truly lucky to be a High School Teacher.

8 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger Kristin L said...

I've had similar experiences. It's amazing how much your students can pick up your mood when they're not even trying.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Mrs. B said...

Bravo! Isn't it great when the kids come through for us? Even though it sometimes "freaks them out," I think they appreciate seeing that we really are human - sometimes they seem to forget that.

Hope this week will be better for you. :)

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger jsteck said...

Teenagers are truly amazing people. I can understand how they can be a bright spot in a tough day. Thank goodness for kids!

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Jim Gates said...

I had been transferred to the middle school computer teacher position from a high school position. I didn't want to go. I expected a bunch of kids with no skills and little interest in anything.

I sat in my room that first day waiting for the bell to ring to release the students to their first period class and I was angry. I didn't want it to EVER start.

The bell rang and within a few second an 8th grade girl walked in the door carrying her books in front of her. She flashed a wide smile and said, "Good morning! Computer class is my favorite class."

The transformation was instantaneous. My heart melted and I was ashamed at myself for feeling so angry. Within that INSTANT I went from being an angry old curmudgeon to one who was looking forward to my new year with these kids. We DO have the best jobs.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Renee Howell said...

Thank YOU for being a teacher!

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Renee Howell said...

Actually - Thank YOU ALL for being teachers!

 
At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have had similar experiences. Sometimes it is as if the students are my salvation. Thanks Maura.

- your 7th grade social studies teacher

 

Post a Comment

<< Home