Moritz's Blog

Monday, September 17, 2007

As I anticipate the discussion in which I have volunteered to lead next week, regarding mission and vision, I am apprehensive and hopeful at the same time. It is a challenge that I look forward to.

Bringing together 48 teachers to decide what we stand for is important to truly define what our 21C group is all about. But after looking at the four pages of notes that have accumulated between the three mini-groups that make up our large group, I can’t help but feel like there is a large mountain that we need to climb in order to tame this monster.

By default, we as teachers, are passionate about our work. We want to be sure that we get our points made and that everyone embraces them as passionately as we do. But when we write a mission statement, a statement that should be two sentences at the most, how am I…how are we…going to be able to agree on what is the most important. How am I…we…going to ensure that every voice is heard and supported? How am I going to take the “I” out of the equation for the greater good?

I can write our mission statement. I can write our vision statement. But what I write will not be what Terry would write, or what Andrea would write, or what James would write.

I guess I am saying is we will really need to work together and be willing to compromise in order to form a mission statement that is broad enough that everyone feels validated. Everyone feels comfortable with our decision. Everyone supports and believes in our mission. Otherwise it is just another sentence.

3 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Maybe it's not even a full sentence . . .

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger A. Bradley said...

As a part of the group that facilitated the last discussion I understand your concerns. We were worried about how the brainstorming was going to look and nervous about the constructive communication of the group. As it turned out we felt positive about how the session turned out.

What about putting together a list of common ideas for the group? I am more than willing to help with that. What are some different ways a mission statement may look? I agree with you about taking the "I" out of the equation because there are some amazing thoughts from people in the group.

Let me know what will help you. Thanks.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Joan Hitchens said...

Maura - Thank you for all your work and thoughtful planning before we met today. You brought all of our ideas together in a very concise manner and included all of our best thoughts. Thank your for "stream lining" the process for us and making today a successful session. Well done! It was also a pleasure to visit your class and see them in action.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home