Moritz's Blog

Friday, September 15, 2006

IT WORKED!! :)

I had my students take over for our vocabulary and submit it via email or in my class drop-box and it really worked. So psyched...

The assignment was to take each of the assigned words and place them in a PowerPoint so that the entire class could see the definition and have it explained to them. Each student got 1-2 words and was responsible for teaching the definition to the class. This seemed to really engage the students because they wanted to see which classmate came up with the best slide for their words. It was really awesome and took a lot of work off of my plate. Plus, the students are now more vested in their vocabulary, where before I think they just did the assignment.

Hooray!

4 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Blogger T Sale said...

This sounds like a great idea, and one step beyond the one I came up with. I had my sophomores add their words (with context sentences, source, and definition) to the class blog so they could see all the words. But doing them on a PowerPoint slide sounds like it would make room for more visual creativity. You ought to make a link to the PP show so we can see it.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Karl Fisch said...

It sounds as though you really put the students in charge of their own learning - and they came through. Good work.

I second Terry's comment - upload the PowerPoint as an eDoc and link to it - pretty please.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Greg T said...

Bravo! A creative, fresh approach. I am so pleased for your vocabulary success. This empowers your students and really allows them the opportunity to invest in "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" words when the older methods might not engage the students.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Cheryl Makovsky said...

I'd love to see the power point also. I'm having a difficult time understanding exactly what your class did.....I hope you get that link set up so I can borrow your idea!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home