Moritz's Blog

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Well, I learned this week how much I really depend on having a computer in my class. Earlier this week, my classroom computer got sick. Dr. Fisch took care of it, but I was without it for 2.5 days.
With all of my lesson plans currently on PowerPoint, I felt completely helpless. I had to return to my planbook, which if you see it, it is pretty empty because everything is on the computer.
This morning I woke up in a panic thinking I would not have my computer with my overhead projector for Back to School Night. Luckily, my precious computer was returned to me this morning. :)
What an eyeopening experience this week. I don't know. Maybe I have become too dependent on technology because it is so easy to use.

2 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Well, maybe I should've mentioned this earlier, but don't forget there are three computers on carts that are usually available for signup. We could've moved one of those in there for a couple of days. Or, if your withdrawal symptoms were too bad - or your instruction too severely compromised - we could move a computer from the media center in temporarily.

I guess the question to ask is whether the way you are using technology is helping students learn. Helping them take a more active role in their own education. Helping prepare them to be successful in the 21st century. If the answer to those is generally yes, then I don't think you're too dependent. Are you too dependent on Oxygen?

If, on the other hand, the answers to those questions are not generally yes, then maybe you (we) should reevaluate.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Chef Pōtāt said...

It would be an interesting topic of conversation if you, along with other teachers at our school, took a week off to live like Thoreau. I am sure it would be an eye opening experience. I would speak well of anyone who could manage it, I know I would have some serious difficulties... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home